Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mostly Harmless Days - Don't Panic

Work has been crazy this week. My boss asked me to finish something before work finished yesterday at 4:30, expecting me to finish before 5. He said it was pivotal. I worked until 6:30. Today, while scraping the internet (parsing: my job has me writing internet crawlers that nibble information from school websites), a whole series of schools banned us for hammering their sites. Needless to say, my boss was displeased in the same way bees dislike having their hive punched in the face. Not my fault, but there wasn't anyone else to blame, either.
On top of that, several schools broke unaccountably, and fingers are pointed. But, strangely enough, I'm feeling pretty good. I think I have the best of all possible friends. Last night, a couple of my best friends made me dinner (since I got off work so late, I didn't have time to make it), watched a movie with me (Sherlock Holmes), loved on me etc. I'm incredibly grateful for their care. Matthew tried calling me 3 times in a row to find out how I've been doing - though I ignored all three calls because he tends to call me at the busiest times... suspicious, Matthew, suspicious. Skype with A tonight, with Ben soon (Wednesday? Remind me), dinner with C and M on Wednesday and a morning with P on Wednesday morning. Thursday, dinner with AH, Friday soccer. I definitely have the best of friends.
I'm not certain why I'm reminded of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on such days, but I am. Perhaps it is because the levity can be so valuable when your boss is miffed. Plus, I don't work Wednesdays, and know I've only hours to go until a fabulous tomorrow (and a fabulous tonight skyping A)

No comments:

Post a Comment