Thursday, February 6, 2014

Snow Day

With my child's mind, I witnessed a world
encased in ice - I ached in the sun's death,
split, sundered into smoky skies
and breathless-cold beyond belief.
ash white are the remnants of shattered glass-light,
falling ever falling...
resplendent plumage of the paradise bird -
I cried, cried for the frozen sun,
and the swirling devils of wind
brusquely bullying it about,
and each word the winter swallowed



Today, I discovered a bit more about Dada I never learned before, and gained an appreciation of the chaotic formlessness that was, in its own way, a form. I skimmed along the lives of Marcel Duchamp, Hannah Hoch, and Hans Arp, and opened my eyes unto the avant-garde of the post-world war one European art, and the rejection of everything formal.
I also read about Donald Hall, and found out he was the husband of Jane Kenyan (I did not know who her husband was). A lot more things make sense now.
I still had to work, as I work from the warm, cozy cove of my room, but the snowfall outside was beautiful all day long, and magicked the day speedily past.

2 comments:

  1. Donald Hall has this heart-breakingly beautiful poem about Jane Kenyon's last days. Oh man, he is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the library to find Donald Hall after I discovered that, and they had NONE. Not even one thing. So I picked up some Jorie Graham (she's way too smart for me, and I like it), and Philip Levine instead (his newer stuff is pretty fun). I'll have to look into Donald Hall sometime. That's quite a poetry combo, huh?

    ReplyDelete