Saturday, May 17, 2014

the path of the moon over water



Every journey I remember passes there, whether the trail is unswerving or shy: the lake vista. I always imagine mine as Walden pond, a small rise overlooking the night-still waters. No mosquitos, no crickets or cicadas, even, chitter in the night, though some fireflies spark moments like shooting stars over the milky-way waters. She’s female, isn’t she? The phase, the surges of light followed by hiding in shadows, the tidal forces – I, too, am drawn by her primal sway.
But I’m not even glancing her way, so entrancing is her image on the waters, almost more beautiful, I’d say. Atop my little knoll, I watch her stroll, dance, shimmer, glide across the velvet lake, as an ephemeral swan of light, a gossamer boat, the lady under the water in wedding whites, diamonds, pearls, the white footsteps of the divine and sacred goddess. With a smile, she beams with every wave, and waterskippers flounder in her wake, nipped by hungry fish whose leaps send ripples down her argentine gown.
Olwen – her slippers never even touch the lake, so light her dance and elegant, the wind is enough. I’m there now, watching the lake carefully, wondering whether I’m here to stay, or destined to return ever again. The dreams are there, my earth soul is bound to this place, but it’s lacking, and I am. A myth runs through my veins, but this one?          I fear I’ll soon be trapped in a tree, under a stone, without any wizardly cunning to set me free.



http://benjaminwblog.com/2014/05/the-path-of-the-moon-over-water/

No comments:

Post a Comment