Monday, August 11, 2014

Of the serpent

http://benjaminwblog.com/2014/08/slithering-dreams/ ‎

I dreamt last night of a large group, a crowd, meandering around a plaza, waiting for something. That something was a speaker, or a leader of some sort, though really the ambling was aimless and random. Around the plaza was a garden, filled with large raised beds of strawberries, squash, peas, beans, tomatoes, and other assorted shoots and vines. I traipsed about the mob a while, entertaining the notion that I might fit into any number of cliques or groupings, but found no easy inlet, and settled for joining a group of friends near the garden.  As I approached, hundreds of snakes, garters and blue racers, wiggled their way through the grass away from me, as though fleeing a giant. As I neared my group of friends, they nodded and told me to mind where I sat, to avoid sitting on snakes.  Just before I sat, I brushed the grass, and several small snakes skittered away, and I sunk into the soft green of the lawn, squishing several small snakes and sending others sliding away.  We watched the plaza like a stage for a while, but nothing was said amongst these friends I’d found, and I soon grew weary of their silence and sought my own in the garden. In the center of the garden between the raised beds was a fountain, and beside the fountain, a large fluffy couch. I ambled along the edge of the raised beds towards the fountain, and the number of snakes seemed to increase with every footfall. Now they were slithering up my legs and onto my arms, falling off as I lumbered onward, and I was uncomfortable with them, though they were not biting.  I kept brushing them off, and the vines of the nearby plants transformed into serpents that snagged onto my clothes and climbed my limbs. I raced onwards, hoping to sit down on the couch and be safe, away from the gardens, but as I set down, I sat into a pile of snakes thick as spaghetti, and they began twisting around my arms and constricting me – thousands of tiny snakes no longer than my pinky, or some a cubit in length, twisting around my arms. Then they began biting. Countless pinpricks and little stabbing needles up and down my body, but the sheer weight of the snakes prevented me from standing up or escaping from the cushions of the couch. They were in my hair and around each finger, on my legs and in my shirt and pants and latching onto my forehead.

What’s strange about this dream is that it didn’t feel like a nightmare. There are a lot of different opinions on the topic of dream interpretation, but many of them cycle around topics of: surprise (it’s surprising being bitten); phallic (general serpent shape, I suppose); opportunity and being overwhelmed (especially with hoards of serpents – a lot of snakes can mean opportunity but also being overwhelmed); and anxiety. Having a lot of people in a dream, especially nameless, faceless individuals, is often interpreted as reflections of yourself. (Even with named, faced people, many interpretations often conclude those are patterns of yourself)
I took it to mean some different things, but mostly that it was an odd dream, and an odder interaction with it on waking.  There has been plenty enough going on in life to keep me overwhelmed. That’s certainly not a negative, yet I’m still exhausted and ready for a rest on a couch without snakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment