Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Marching Ants - Inspired by Dave.

Today was one of those days so sunny and beautiful, you must enjoy every last minute of it, even if it means forgetting to eat dinner - and lunch. Okay, so that was unwise, but shall we say that sun was enjoyed? It was. And as nice as today was, tomorrow is supposed to be sunnier, with clouds rolling in this weekend just in time for.... my beach trip. Lovely. I'm actually excited for the clouds rolling in over the breakers and the beach - I'm certain that will be beautiful. But I'll want it warmer when the winds start blowing, I'm sure.

top of a building, lay of the land
is a mound of a million marching ants
without a queen, and though
the world is prone beneath my feet,
I've no dominion, and no conviction,
only a fear of falling, knowing
the land would swallow me
unknowing, like a flightless bird
why won't they flutter properly, langston?
why did I never learn, even in dreams,
how to flap my wings

when I walk, xee jogs, as I jog, xee runs
running behind, xee flies, and I leap into the sky
riding the updrafts until xee becomes sound
and vrooms. Then I close my eyes and hum,
becoming the music that sings the earth along,
but I'm falling further and farther behind,
when finally xee becomes light, a meteor
taking my wishes and shooting for the moon
blazing an arc of light across the sky
and in a single moment, xee's gone
and now I'm standing still, wondering at the moon

No comments:

Post a Comment