Saturday, June 14, 2014

Do they call this a week?

This is the longest time I’ve gone completely without writing since 2008 (although I may actually have written something  in the fogginess of this weekend, and perhaps I only wish I hadn’t tried). On Tuesday night, after work I joined Matthew and “groomsman” (men here is misleading) at a dinner in an Issaquah brewery, wherein I alone did not consume copious quantities of alcoholic beverage.  Then, at some horrible hour (probably after ten), we split and Matthew and I headed separately to Bellingham where I’d spend the week until the Matthew’s wedding.
On Wednesday, Matthew worked while I did not, and I used the time to explore Bellingham, visit a few shops and bookstores, wander aimlessly in search of a good beach, and admire the pleasant, Elvish feel to the woods and hills surrounding the bay. When Matthew returned, we walked back from his house to downtown and ate some pizza (delicious – they used an almost sourdough-fluffy bread) and discussed the upcoming days. We returned to Matthew’s to watch Ghostbusters, but did not watch very much before J and sisters arrived to collect a bike Matthew had built for J’s youngest sister.
We oohed and aahed at the bike while Matthew and company attempted to make a few final adjustments and get it ready for transport. Then, when everyone finally left, I retired for the night.
Thursday started with work, and when I finished, Matthew and I proceeded to make sushi rolls (enormous amounts of avocado, assorted vegetables), and then headed for the park to play some Frisbee golf. Matthew won. When we arrived home from the park, it was already nearing ten, so we decided to just hang out and talk before falling asleep, because both of us had probably slept little over the last few nights. Matthew promptly zonked out, and I followed shortly thereafter.
Friday, I worked but Matthew did not. After I finished work, I went to the church and helped organize and set up before the rehearsal, which, after a scene of organized chaos (emphasis on chaos, diminutive on organized), we considered ourselves prepared and ate pizza for dinner.
That night, a couple friends came over and for a few hours we attempted to play family business while Matthew’s friends tried (and maybe succeeded) to get Matthew tipsy. Conversation got wild and crazy, but the end result was staying up until 2, at which point everyone retired except for Matthew who felt ill and sat in the bathroom nursing an upset stomach. I stayed with Matthew there until slightly after four in the morning. At five, the dog started barking. At six, J sent Matthew some texts which he did not hear, but did not stop his phone from dancing madly and beeping every couple of minutes. At seven thirty, the other couples in the house started waking up. There was not much sleep to be had. Matthew and I left at eight to go do more setup at the church.
Then, there were pictures and the wedding.
One more week and all of my greatest of friends will be married off.
This is a strange “summer”. It almost feels like a bunch of ends are all tying off at once, but I’m so focused on doing the tying that I’m forced to live other people’s summers instead of my own. Meanwhile, I’m purchasing a house, moving out of an old one, and praying for some time for hikes, friends (outside of the context of their busyness), writing, exploring, adventuring, reading. I did read One Hundred Years of Solitude and start on Love in the Time of Cholera. So that’s something. I’m too tired to do any creative writing tonight, so I won’t try. Hope all of you are doing well.




2 comments:

  1. I liked this. So good to see you this morning!

    ReplyDelete