Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Nervous Quotations

Standing atop the tallest turtle, Yertle, I think I own the sky. Nothing could be so high as I, I smugly reply to the wind, which turns me around to see a mountain-top nestled within the mighty clouds. Well, and then again, perhaps my head has been misled, and it’s time to climb again.

This weekend, this week, is beyond my comprehension I think, at 2 in the morning. I think the whirlwind of events is more the cause than the hour, but I suspect that little makes sense to my addled brain at 2am, even were I not on being set aflame, with teary eyes, pumping heart, nervous fingers, and lungs remembering what breathing is. So this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper.  (TS Eliot, Hollow Men)

You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des RĂªves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.
(Morgenstern, Night Circus)

Let your gentle spirit be made known before all men. The Lord is near. (Philippians 4:5)

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation. (Yann Martel Life of Pi)

Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud... (Yann Martel Life of Pi)

You would rather face a life without me than to have me choose a life I would not choose for myself. (Scalzi)

And for you, Em:
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
(Mary Oliver)

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting –
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
(Mary Oliver)


I don't know what my life is at this time, but here are some quotes that I've left running through my head. Some are relevant, others just for thought. There is much to be found in the world, even when you think you know everything.

You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month and yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. (on the topic of hobbits.. or perhaps anything)
(Lord of the Rings)

http://benjaminwblog.com/2014/06/nervous-quotation/ 

3 comments:

  1. I keep rereading them all and different things stand out to me each time......

    So much...

    In briefest though, I will at least say that quote moved life of pi higher up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uh-oh. :) Keep The Brother's K up there! I'll want to talk to you about the Life of Pi before, during, and after.

      Delete