Saturday, September 6, 2014

Heliotrope

If I allow myself, the kaleidoscope of life might easily carry a negative image, a half-empty glass symbology. When I am thankful, I might feel guilty over those suffering, and when I cry out for help, I could feel shame at not considering all God’s providence. 

heliotrope
charioteer of gold
a solar snail solipsizing
over a cold and needy world:
shell out some warmth
along your sticky way -
rah the phoenix fire,
flimsy green necks turn
purple faces at your arcing egg -
boil us over easy



Heliotrope is my new favorite, though that may change in the next ten seconds. The sun turner, like a tiny sun-saint anchored and devoted: deep green your spades, digging through beams of light and sweetening the air.  But it’s the purple petals, the golden anther to the sun like an offering, an obsequious mirror, though you are none so shy or coy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment