Sunday, June 23, 2013

Blag

Paraskevidekatriaphobia. Even in our scientific age of enlightened logos, superstitions often interfere with our every day. The word (too long for typing again) above means a fear of a thirteenth of the month being a Friday. Superstitious much? Whether it is the concept of "beginner's luck" or knocking on wood, even our logical disbelief cannot retire these actions.  What is "luck" anyway?
I admit to a certain distrust of the concept of luck, having programmed enough to understand that "random" only means "you don't know enough to predict accurately".  Luck would have no existence in a world without misunderstandings. Not that limited knowledge is bad, yet from it we derive paranoia, anxiety, worries, terrors, fears. Many of our debilitating uncertainties stem from the mysterious unknown future.
One of the advantages of religion is the possession of faith. Everyone carries faith in some capacity, though perhaps religion possesses faith in the infinite to provide for the finite, divine providence for the weary and broken.  Hard weeks will come and go, but I know that salvation and grace exist, mercy and love are not unattainable.  I have not had hard weeks, though I suspect some are impending. Even now, I understand a bit of the words of James:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

And when I'm frustrated and tired of people and events and work and things, I always let myself turn to my favorite verse:
Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.
Let the games continue. Winter must pass before spring is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment