Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sacred Inviolable

12.5%: a notable distance traveled, and many tracks and tricks remaining. Every railroad rut yields another, in a plodding towards eternity. What travails have I consigned my weeks to? Is this slippery justice? Lines were crossed, the sacred inviolable. This is penance for a milked crime, a trail of tears in illicit motions.  It is a grotesquerie I've harbored overlong.

The doctor has long exerted his influence over my transgressions, pressuring the infested, self-inflicted wound. Bitterly, a desperate penance has driven me into quietude, a beggary for concealment of iniquities long forgot.  Only he, the conniving doctor, knew my grievances, and I bought his silence dearly. In my great manse, in the rolling, wilderness hillsides of Scotland, a monstrous basement laboratory was carved into the bedrock, an elaborate, secret catacombs.  I doled out for the construction, as per the Doctor's every desire, and the honeycombing burrowed 'neath my home unseen, unknown. I stared away as they drilled, ashamed as I was of my own illicit behavior.
And the drilling stopped, one day, and life continued.
Then the screaming began.  I ignored it as best I could, the hellish wails beneath each inch of my estate.  What devilry was this? But I suspected my sin unpaid, and allowed the Doctor his work. It was the cruelest of purgatories. My servants disappeared, unsettled, for who can bear such nightmarish shrieks? Six months, I lived within that house torn asunder by devilry beneath.  Seven months I could take no more.
Within the center of the house sat a room like a disease, a monster at the heart of the earth. It was a dank room, musty, claustrophobic, and pitch. Dead center in the room, a tiny swivel-trapdoor opened into the complex beneath the manse. I'd never set foot here, not even in the room itself.
I rolled the stone trapdoor back, and a sulfuric smog rose into the room.  Lowering myself down, the smell strengthened, and an additional odor chafed at the edge of my nostrils, something organic, ghastly, and long dead. A dim light pulsated from the corridor beyond, casting a sickly glow. A low, ugly growl filled the basement dark, eerie and bestial.
What devilry was borne in this hellish place?


No comments:

Post a Comment