Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Toast Unsaid (I'm not making one!)

Note: Turns out I'm (thankfully) not making a toast at A's wedding. I wrote one already, but am thankful my words were not required. Public speaking is not my forte. So, consider this an imaginary toast. Without further ado, my imaginary toast begins anon.

The Toast

One of my first and great memories of A was in freshman year Bible study. Our entire floor had gathered in a classroom circle of desks, and, but moments into the study, an argument started. Who knows what the argument  initially entailed, but at some point during the ruckus, A flips open his Bible and claims some insight into the matter. "Open your Bibles to Genesis 2:25, gentlemen," he must have said with sagely sincerity. So we did; and he read with utmost candor, "And the man and the woman were naked and felt no shame."

Whether through perplexity or laughter, the argument soon dissolved into a healing hilarity. From horrible, campy movies, to eternal, comedic floor meetings, road trips, and floor dinners, I grew in my friendship with A. Our sophomore year, we lived together in a four-person suite, and the spiritual motif for our suite-floor was fourfold: men of devotion, men of conquest, men of purity, men of healing.  A immediately chose each of our traits: D devotion, J purity, myself as men of conquest, leaving himself as "men of healing".

I think, throughout our years together, A has proven to be that and more. Many times over our years, I needed that healing presence, likely more than he needed my conquest.  Now, in his relationship with S, I can see his cherishing and healing still, in harmony.  They are a sweet music, whether playing disc golf, nerts, singing strange German tunes, or concocting some delectable dish. I've grown to love this melody, singing healing into each of our lives - a familiar composition, with an aria uniquely new.

I grow even more excited to hear the verses, join the refrain, and dance with them in the chorus of our lives. In the rests and rhythms, the resonance and the renaissance, together let's orchestrate a beautiful future. Together, our euphony will be sweet, our healing bold, in sweeping chorus.

(Toast Portion...?)
To A and S and us all - may we follow carefully the director's guidance, ever creating beautiful music.

No comments:

Post a Comment