Sunday, July 7, 2013

Destoryer

It is with slight embarrassment that I write this. A friend of mine once created a character whose name was the Destoryer. Originally a typo, upon seeing this, I only scarcely concealed my excitement. Wouldn't such a character make a more dastardly villain even than the original intent? Not someone who destroys, but someone who steals stories. One of my favorite quotes in Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) is by Kvothe in the presence of a social-working priest who lives in a basement caring for a bunch of waifs, the ignored children of impoverished urbania. One of the children, a suffering and likely traumatized child, moans, asking for a story. Trapis replies that he knows no stories, and Kvothe thinks: "everyone has at least one story."
Another story I read, at my best friend's behest, was a book called The Book of Lost Things by Connolly. While I have mixed feelings about this story, and mixed feelings about grotesque, grim tales like that in general, the concept was incredible in a sense. A crooked man who promises a different story, an escape from a troubling story. But if there was a creature that might steal your story, might leave you a helpless shell, a husk of character, personality, and past, would that not be the most diabolical of entities? I long to develop this character, and need only a fae enough world for housing him - something between Coralina, Stardust and Wildwood. This character I've only imagined already frightens and awes me. He's more intimidating than Mr Hyde, Dracula, the Wicked Witch, or even the white witch. Does his power require and bequeathal from the victim? Or does he possess legendary powers of leaving behind a wake of soulless victims? His story approaches, and he haunts me creative dreams.

Nothing much more interesting tonight. Reading some Maya Angelou and marking down what I want to read over the next few days. Time is slipping through the hourglass' waist and down to her toes. This is the sinking sand of my dreams, turn me over, turn me over and let me fall into sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment