Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fingertips...

You need them.

I was grating ginger for a curry soup with a micro-grater, and removed the tip of my index finger. It swiftly formed a pool of blood (deep enough not to drip right away - actually bad), before I stuck it in my mouth. Fun facts for self-doctoring: saliva contains mostly water (over 98%). The part of saliva that is not water contains some interesting things, including white blood cells and enzymes useful in the clotting of blood. So if you cut yourself, spitting on it or sticking a cut finger in the mouth can aid in the rapid covering of platelets and a sheathe. In addition, saliva is an anti-bacterial, and helps prevent against infection. Pretty fancy. So I spent a while sucking on my finger. I'm slightly anemic, because I don't get as much iron in my diet as I need, but my blood tends to clot better than it should, considering its thin aspect.
It's difficult typing, I assure you. Some strange things I noted: the rest of my fingertips, despite sustaining no injury, all prickle in pain incessantly, as if enduring a sympathy throbbing for the inflicted finger; being bi-dexterous helps a little, though I still require my right hand for certain activities. The blessing is that my left hand catches on quickly to delicate tasks. Also, I use my right hand a lot more than I anticipated, and my passwords for the computer are muscle memory, and since one of my fingers is out of the equation, I have been having trouble remembering my passwords (since I can't use that finger). Bah.

Rivulets down the roadside streaming
Tides the autumn breeze's bringing
Light in cozy abodes flick'ring
Eyes unfocused distant dreaming
Hopes they waver, faiths unfold
A lone, untouched, unbridled cold

When choosing to fight lonely battles, you can only blame yourself for defeat.





No comments:

Post a Comment