Tuesday, November 19, 2013

More Philosophy

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet - Anonymous

I may be stumped until the end of the month with writing. I need to be reading again. It isn't writer's block, it is 'writer's tired mind'. 

I had an interesting discussion about the infinite, today.

I commented that extreme statements have always been hard for me. I once wrote in my journal, asking myself if I'd ever lived any perfect days. Not days that were better than any other day in the history of mankind, but days without sin. Is it possible? Have I gone any days in my entire life without any sin? I'm not even sure. How could I even verify that? I think that my discernment sucks, because sometimes the line between sin and not-sin can be fuzzy at times. 

Then I got to thinking about what a perfect day might even look like. What does it look like to live a perfect day? I don't think any such philosophizing is getting me there, and I wonder if Solomon had it right with his directions to live happy and to seek out those things which bring you joy, when you are living with faith: Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do.  (Ecclesiastes 9)

It's a philosophy sort of week, I suppose.

I'll likely continue reading Mary Oliver and fall asleep, and hopefully some of these questions dream with me. I'm even dreaming about this story, lately. I think that of each of my novels, this is the messiest. It is still better than my first year's, and more advanced than my second year's, but I was probably a little overambitious with the mystery plot.


No comments:

Post a Comment