Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Buried Treasure

http://benjaminwblog.com/2014/07/buried-treasure/

in the staggering steps of night
a trite, yet honest, man, speaks:
standing upright means less than once.
brushing back the cobwebs of summer
as a brawl laced with liqueur -
ah, he stutters, whittling at a stone
he clasps tight between his fingers,
war is a brutish adze we claim carves
figurines, or a hammer for sewing doilies -
he sips his soup carefully, balancing
each broth drop on his sharpened blade.
true marble sculpture, he tells me,
requires just the right sort of scythe;
and then he dies laughing, and night goes on.

I live in a world where everything that merits nothing demands my attention, and those things that deserve my notice are drowned in the clamor. Today, I received five piece of mail that all said: “urgent, please reply as soon as possible”, and each soon found a new home in the recycling bin. And there are those tiny advertisements from charities, demure, tentative, knowing that each cent must be well spent and spread thin over a vast territory. But these are the silent questions, the dumb mendicants and lepers who shame us with their neediness.
Anyone can laud the fashionable, the showy, but it takes a great deal of courage, heart, and patience to love the derelict and the wretched. But everything, almost without fail, asks for some semblance of notice. It may be an obscure misdirect, or an embarrassed request, or a gaudy sign that leaves no doubt of intent, but we’re not eternally solitary, aloof creatures.

There’s a lot of life, yet, to live; I see this in myself. But I must also engage in vying for that life in others, so that their joy, too, may be complete. Often I set that precedence so blithely, and blindly glance over the wounded ones, the lepers, the untouchables – those who need more than anyone else in the world the touch of divinity. Can I be love’s hands and feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment