Thursday, July 3, 2014

When I can't

http://benjaminwblog.com/2014/07/when-i-cant/

when I can't
the holy spirit ties my shoes
double knot, just so, snug
and my hair loose, arms out wide
whispers catch the cat of nine
the trees slap at my knees;
turning aside the burning nib
that pens in hateful words
onto my parched and parchment soul -
muse and music, wine and time
for lying by Elijah dining
on the gifts of ravens,
where the world is an empty
deserted place without any water
I am lifted on the wings of eagles
sipping holy water and unraveling
the spiritual knots so I might
wander heaven's pastures, bare of foot


On difficult days, more than other days, the second string steps up to play. I’m falling on useless legs like a world-cup stumbler, praying for a foul, a little grace from a biased referee. And when my knees break, shins crack, and I curl into a little helpless quaver on the thin green grass, the stretchers come to carry me into the wings for a rest. There is nothing wrong with the bench, nothing I couldn’t anticipate. Oh, and how those who wait want to run. How could you not, sitting on heaven’s shores, waiting for a little chance to soar?



No comments:

Post a Comment