Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sometimes

Who am I? Sometimes
While magnolia tides shimmer with the smiles of the sea
A scimitar moon sings with the power of wheat;
tiny boats like snowdrops through the ocean drift
cupped in the mighty waves
the sky's eyes breathe fire and my heart's kindling -
jaguar of my spirit stirs 
and leaps
into the running water seams of these twilight weaves
whose wolf howls and owls hoot thrice
wherefore art thou now, oh brother, oh love?
quick, before too long
locking dried petals into a walnut box
redolent of east autumn sunrise
and dizzying honeyed saffron
treasure of memories, gift to the lady of waters
this burden is heavier floating free



Today was Walt Whitman and Pablo Neruda day. I admit a fascination and love for Pablo Neruda, and an indifference towards Walt Whitman. Oh, Whitman definitely possesses a turn of phrase and a knack for vital, almost blood-thirsty writing that lacks in my own. But somehow he manages to make poetry long-winded, almost tedious. There is something impatient in the reading, or too patient in the writing. Maybe I read too nearly to Pablo Neruda, whose writing inspired me greatly.

Some lines I wrote down as I read them:
cold flower heads are raining over my heart
ay, love is a journey through waters and stars, through suffocating air, sharp tempests of grain
carnal apple, woman filled, burning moon, dark smell of seaweed, crush of mud and light
full of the voltage of the sea's movements
...to that form that love carved in the guitar
so that the waves can complete themselves in the sky

It seems like every poem is charged with their own "voltage" like the sea's motions.  Again I wish that I could read the original works and understand the nuance of his language. I understand enough Spanish to know that I know too little. 

It's been a day of distance, of separation. I can't remember if I've ever suffered a headache, but what I sometimes experience is strange nauseating "distance vision". Everything, from the pen in my hand to the doorknob only paces away or the book I hold in my hand, everything appears as though it were far, far away, well beyond reach.  That's what today has felt like, as though seeing things, I could not interact with them. Difficult days (S: looking at you), unusual environment, unsolvable problems, confusing imagery, brokenness of people, losing - I can't seem to win, or even compete in the game, sometimes. None of these are my problems, and I can't seem to help with them. It is a devastating separation. This is such a day (when the chinks in my legerdemain make clear the smoke and mirror).
What do I do on such days? I've no solutions. Sometimes, I write until the pages bleed through and, closing my eyes, I wait until my blindness dissipates. Sometimes, I stare at my hands and wonder if they are mine, or if that changes things. Sometimes, I wish. Sometimes I win anyway.

1 comment:

  1. You have the biggest heart of anyone I know. And truly, the best writing.

    ReplyDelete