Thursday, October 31, 2013

Moon Phases

panning for gold in driveway gravel, an industrious escape from the mind. A glimmer, false hope, what did I expect to mine? sifting stones as memories, these pebbles are more than pearls, than precious jewels.  the sandbox of my spirit, shifting - entropy crumbles mountains to rubble, but cannot destroy what it finds. Moon rides high, tonight, pulling hearts like tides and dragging silver trails behind on its wedding night. The moon in its futility races west to east, but looks like east to west. I'm sifting pebbles from my pile of gold, is the moon's existence mine?
I can only hope to reflect light so bright, hopefully with more consistency. 

It's a limbo I feel, a between time. Like I have five minutes until an appointment, but nothing I can finish, or start, in those five minutes. I'm tractionless, racing forward-backward like the moon, and doing so in circles. How, after Eden, could Adam and Eve settle for less? No choice, there was no choosing perfection, anymore. I see what, to my eyes, was close, but beyond reach. 
Oh, such tiny arms and lofty dreams.
A plan, then? Or destiny?
I'll sigh until you hold me high
Love? Or I'm deceived.
Broken glass between each toe
shark's teeth and barnacles
chances in a mantis hold
No, this is what it means
carpet rides on starry nights
daisies on a bed
of downy grass and reading
poems sweetly singing
of mountaintops and raspberries tasting
moonlight in your hands gossamer
as gliding swans
tiptoeing across ponds 
silver, holy night
slipping into a shell to see 
the sea tides whisper gently
press your hand to mine
and jarred awake, a dream
an electricity.
in beginnings a death
in ends: retreat
opportunity or perfect impossibility
love's broken like the moon
Now, every puzzle piece fits poorly, inadequate. Something always wrong, and standing out like a thorn in the thumb, scarlet stains on white cloth, oil on the ocean, burn patches on the ground, barrow in a field of flowers, vulture in a flock of doves, weeds in fields of corn. But even perfect blue eyes sparkle with flecks of gold, flowers grow in street cracks, and in the darkness there's a moon, sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment